If you’ve ever dined at a Peruvian spot with “Green Rice”, you already know how hard this dish hits!! The flavor is undeniable, and so good, my family dives in every time I prepare it. Simple flavors and a handful of ingredients make this side dish one you will return to time and time again LW.
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 cup jasmine rice
1 cup fresh cilantro (loose, not packed)
2 Tbsp beef bacon fat (fat released from about 2-3 strips)
1 small-medium onion
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup peas
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1.5 teaspoon salt
- Peel and chop onion, peel and crush garlic and peel and dice carrot.
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add cilantro, chicken broth, cumin and salt to blender and blend until coriander is completely liquified.
- Add beef bacon fat to pot, then add onion, crushed garlic and diced carrot. Fry until onion is translucent. About 3 minutes.
- Add jasmine rice, cilantro/broth mixture, and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, immediately turn heat down to low and cover with a tight sitting lid.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes, until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Turn off heat, add peas, and fluff rice with a fork. Let sit for 1-2 minutes for peas to warm a bit with lid on. Be sure to remove after.
- Sprinkle some chopped fresh cilantro on top for decoration if desired, and serve.
Prepare chicken using the JuJu Finger-licking Marinade and serve with this rice, plantains, and black beans as sides. Your family is going to adore you for bringing the Northern Kingdom flare to the dining table! Enjoy!