2 cups Masa Harina Mexican flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable lard or shortening, melted
Oil for frying (or vegetable lard/shortening)
15 ounce can refried beans or homemade
16 ounces of beef chorizo, chicken, or beef cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup canned chipotle salsa (red chili sauce)
1 cup pico de gallo
1 avocado, sliced
Queso Fresco, crumbled for topping
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the masa, salt, and baking powder together.
- Stir in the water and melted lard. Once firm, mix by hand until the mixture is very smooth.
- Separate the dough into 16 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
- Set a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan 1/4 inch deep.
- As the oil is heating, use a tortilla press or rolling pin to flatten the balls into disks, approximately 1/3-1/2 inch thick.
- Once the oil is hot, fry 5-7 individual sopes in the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Move the cooked sopes to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Immediately use the edge of a tablespoon to press a circular indention around the edges of each sope, so it has a rim.
- Place the sheet in the oven to keep warm.
- Add more oil to the skillet if needed. Repeat with the remaining sopes in 1-2 more batches. Make sure to press the indentions into the sopes while they are still hot.
- Once all the sopes are cooked, and all the rims are created. Prepare the toppings.
- Top each sope with a dollop of refried beans, a tablespoon of cooked chorizo, a drizzle of thick chili sauce, a spoonful of pico de gallo, and a sliver of avocado. Finish with a sprinkling of queso fresco. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Keeping it Lawful
A lot of refried beans have pork in them, but there are lawful options that are just as delicious! One option is to purchase and cook pinto beans with garlic, onion, spices, and mash. There are also vegetarian refried bean options you can pick up at your local supermarket.