This stew is packed with veggies, a subtle heat, and buttery salmon that checks both the healthy and delicious check boxes! As we continue to burn the fat and minimize meats, this dish steps in as a simple go-to dinner your family will enjoy.
3 cups of salmon cut in bite sized pieces
3 loosely packed cups of collard greens, chopped
1 – 14.5 can of diced or stewed tomatoes
5 cloves of garlic smashed and diced
5 white potatoes, diced large
Red bell pepper, diced large
Yellow bell pepper, diced large
1 large onion, diced large
3 – 4 stalks of celery, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
3 cup of okra sliced
1 jalapeno, diced fine (add more if you want more heat)
6 – 7 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian blend
8 cups of water
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons of McCormick’s Cedar Plank Salmon seasoning mix
Salt of the earth (use as directed in instructions)
2 teaspoons dried thyme
Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning (use as directed in instructions)
Tony Chachere’s Creole Bold seasoning (use as directed in instructions)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 – 2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
Juice of half of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon of butter
- Add cubed salmon to a bowl with the juice of half a lemon, 1 teaspoon of creole seasoning, and 2 teaspoons of Cedar Plank seasoning. Set in fridge until required.
- Add okra to a greased pot, and saute on medium-high for 10 minutes to remove sliminess. Put into container and set aside.
- Evenly coat the bottom of a large stock pot with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery, and butter to the pot and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapeno and stir to combine. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes or until onions start becoming translucent.
- Season onion mixture with 1 teaspoon creole seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon Salt of the Earth, 1.5 teaspoon thyme, and stir to coat all ingredients.
- Add potatoes, peppers, okra, collards, corn and tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Season mixture with 1 teaspoon creole seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon of Salt of the Earth.
- Taste mixture to assess salt level. The onions should be tender enough to taste. If lacking flavor, add more creole seasoning first by the 1/2 teaspoon. Hold off on adding more salt until the end.
- Add 6 – 7 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian with 8 cups of water and stir mixture. Taste broth to make sure everything is balance. It won’t be perfect yet, but it should make you smile a little (lol).
- Add bay leaves and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 10 minutes and then turn stove low to simmer for the duration.
- Add salmon and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of BOLD creole seasoning, smoked paprika, and fresh parsley. Taste everything once combined and adjust seasoning to your liking. This is the time to add salt if you must (I’d avoid it personally).
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes and serve with rice.