Benji Caribbean vibes are all through this bread, yah dun kno! I recently whipped up this recipe during the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and received great praise from my lord, who is the official taste tester of all my dishes. Based on his assessment, this is the reigning “Best Bread”, I’ve come up with thus far. All praises! Lord willing you get an opportunity to try this recipe soon. Be sure to let us know what you think.
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp salt
1.75 sticks of butter (12 tbsp)
3 eggs (room temp)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp butter extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp coconut extract
3 tbsp condensed milk
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 cup candied ginger, chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup lemon/lime juice (approx. 2 tbsp of each)
Zest of 1 lime
Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease a 9×13 pan.
- In a mixer, combine your sugars and butter until whipped. You should have a pale fluffy color/texture. It generally takes my mixer about 10 minutes to get to this point, however, you mixer may be stronger than mine. You know you are good if the mixture looks more whippy and not grainy like sand.
- Beat eggs in one at a time until fully incorporated, followed by vanilla extract, butter extract, lemon extract, coconut extract lime, condensed milk, and lemon zests, directly afterward.
- Add salt and ground ginger to flour and then slowly add in flour and coconut milk to the batter in alternating fashion until both are gone.
- Add lime/lemon juice and candied ginger, and mix to combine by hand.
- Pour mixture into pan and add to oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. My oven normally cooks it perfectly at 50 minutes.
- Once the cake passes the toothpick test, remove and allow to cool uncovered completely.
- Once cooled, top with frosting and other toppings (see below). Enjoy!
1 – 16oz container Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup coconut milk
5 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp coconut extract
Lemon/Lime Zest (to sprinkle on top)
Sweetened coconut flakes (to sprinkle on top)
- Add pre-made frosting to a small mixing bowl, and add coconut milk, lime juice, coconut extract. Mix to combine.
- Spread on cooled bread and top with coconut flakes, followed by a nice dusting of zest.