A nod to the original Bananas Foster dessert, this bread is rich and delicious! Made with a basic cream cheese bread, topped with whipped cream cheese frosting, and finished with an ooey gooey banana sauce, this bite is sure to hit the spot! I found the cream cheese bread recipe in an online group from a sister named Gabrielle. It is perfect and I’m sure you guys are going to love it. I hope at least is you enjoy it as much as my lord’s house!
Bananas Foster Topping Ingredients
3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup dark rum
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Bananas Foster Directions
- Cut bananas into 1/2 inch slices and set aside. Complete this step right before you start so the bananas don’t turn brown.
- Add butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a large skillet and cook on medium until sugar completely dissolves.
- Add bananas in one layer and cook 90 seconds on both sides.
- Add vanilla, followed by rum. Using the handle of the skillet, gently tilt the skillet to mix vanilla and rum throughout the pan.
- Using a long lighter, ignite the mixture with a flame. Once all the alcohol is removed, the flame will go out.
- Simmer 3-5 minutes and remove from the heat to await assembly.
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 cups granulated white sugar
2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Betty Crocker Whipped Cream Cheese frosting
Bread + Assembly Directions
- After sifting flour a couple times, combine flour and sugar and mix completely.
- In a separate bowl add butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract and mix completely.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time until complete.
- Pour batter into a greased pan and bake on 350 for 50 minutes. Use toothpick method to assess doneness. You may need to go an additional 5-10 minutes based on your oven.
- Once cooked through, remove the pan from the oven and cover with a clean towel. Let sit for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add cream cheese frosting to the top of the cooled bread.
- Pre-cut bread before adding Bananas Foster topping. This allows juices to seep into the cracks you make by cutting. I personally wait until I plate the bread to add the topping, so that I can control how it looks visually. I’ve included a picture of how it can be packaged and served to the congregation below.