After a few different versions, each with elements I enjoyed, I’ve finally settled on a banana pudding unleavened bread recipe my family loves! Bananas are regularly consumed in my lord’s house, and every member is a fan of the flavor. Try this recipe out and let us know if you like it as much as we do!
1.5 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs, room temp
2 – 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2.5 cups + 2 tablespoons of cake flour
1 cup oatmilk
2 ripe bananas
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup toffee bits
Unleavened vanilla wafers, crumbled for topping
1 box of Instant Banana Pudding
1 tub of Coolwhip
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Mash bananas with lemon juice in a small bowl, and refrigerate until needed later.
- In a mixer, combine your sugars and butter until whipped. You should have a pale fluffy color/texture. It generally takes my mixer about 10 minutes to get to this point, however, you mixer may be stronger than mine. You know you are good if the mixture looks more whippy and not grainy like sand.
- Beat eggs in one at a time until fully incorporated, followed by vanilla extract directly afterward.
- Slowly add in flour and milk in alternating fashion until both are gone. Shut off mixer, as you ill complete the remainder of the steps by hand.
- Grab smashed bananas from the fridge and toffee bits and fold into mixture.
- Pour mixture into pan and add to oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. My oven normally cooks it perfectly at 50 minutes.
- Once the cake passes the toothpick test, remove and allow to cool completely.
- Mix up instant banana pudding in a separate bowl while your cake is cooling and refrigerate until needed.
- Pour an even layer of the banana pudding on the cooled cake.
- Open CoolWhip tub and add cinnamon. Fold in to combine. Pour entire tub on top of pudding layer and smooth into an even layer.
- Sprinkle Unleavened Vanilla Wafer crumbles on top, cover and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.
- Once set, remove bread/cake, cut and enjoy!