Since childhood, I’ve loved Almond Joys. The crunchy surprise of the almond in a sea of coconut, held together by chocolate is simply divine. This recipe is my attempt to experience the balance of these flavors in unleavened bread. The following recipe is broken into three parts. Rich but not too sweet, this bread was given the thumbs up by everyone in my lord’s house. I think I will add some chocolate chips to the bread/cake part next time, but I’m still pleased with my first stab at this. We hope you enjoy!!
2 cups flour, cake flour or all purpose
2 cups sugar
2 sticks of butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup almond milk
3 eggs, room temp
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix sugar and butter together and cream until smooth.
- Add cream cheese and full incorporate.
- Add eggs, one-by-one, mixing completely before add another.
- Mix flour and cocoa powder in a small bowl, being sure to full combine. Once combined, add in small amounts to the wet ingredients, mixing fully with each addition until the mixture is gone. Alternate milk as you add in flour to keep consistency balanced.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Pour batter into a 9×13 oiled pan, and place in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Check using toothpick test at 40 mins. If still raw in the middle, put back in the oven, checking every few minutes for doneness. You don’t want to dry your cake out.
- Set aside until filing it completed and ready to spread on top of the warm cake. See the next section for filling instructions.
1 can Condensed milk
1/3 cup marshmallow cream
14oz bag or shredded sweetened coconut
2 teaspoons Almond filing (optional)
- Using a medium sauce pan over low-medium heat, add condensed milk, coconut flakes, and marshmallow cream. Stir together to fully combine.
- The filling above is yummy by itself, but I opted to add almond pastry filling. This is optional but certainly gives the cake a bigger punch of almond flavor.
- Pour over hot cake into an even layer.
- Add a generous layer of sliced almonds on top of the coconut mixture, and press in gently with the back of a spoon.
- Add chocolate sauce on top, and smooth into a thin layer covering the almonds. See the next section for the Chocolate sauce recipe.
Chocolate topping Ingredients
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Using a small sauce pan, add heavy cream and chocolate chips. Melt, stirring consistently.
- Once full melted, pour directly onto cake that has already been topped with the coconut filling.
- Smooth out fully and top with extra almond slices.
- Cover pan and add to the refrigerator to let the chocolate set. Once set, you’re all done. Enjoy!